Planet Meddus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Meddus

Meddus. The creation of the Mother herself. Welcome to our world.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Isle of Blue?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ten
Drone
Drone
Ten

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 5:55 am

I have a few ideas for the culture of this place in my head, but I wanna see what's established/unsaid about it before I rattle on. Feel free to pull the plug on it before I start if you wish, Peanut. XD
Back to top Go down
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
Peanutchan

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 am

No set anything really for there.
Only thing I thought of so far was that I want atleast one city/village there to be slightly Elvish looking surrounded by white trunked trees. XD
So I would love to know some of your ideas. :3
Back to top Go down
https://meddus.rpg-board.net
Ten
Drone
Drone
Ten

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 6:30 am

Ooo~ This appeals to the high fantasy nerd in me. XD

I was thinking--the whole island looks blue on a map save the coastline, hence its name. But what does this mean for any vegetation growing there? Is it all some odd shade of blue due to a mineral or something? I know silver causes people's skin to turn blue if they ingest a lot of it, so maybe something along those lines? It looks like there's an icy region on the NE corner of the island, too. What kind of bugs would live there and is it that regional?

But the culture itself--you have the hidden/surrounded city, possibly even nestled in the trees like a networked version of the Mothertree almost to give them greater coverage, if you want to go with the notion of keeping to the elf-like theme to that extent of hiding away from other people. If so, what does this mean for people who live around there or visit? And if that hidden city is close to the widest part of the river, how much of their culture revolves around water? Or the colour blue for that matter, since it's everywhere?

And then there's the question of how much of the island is water and how much is land--aquifers included, since the main source of water seems to be that central river. Do people have anything to do with the aquifers, culturally?

I just keep going back to blue, and "how odd is it to the island's inhabitants to see something not mainly blue or without any blue at all on it"? I mean, the isle's name alone... But then, someone else might have named it after flying over it--what does this mean for the way the people of that island see things? Is blue as common as the name and aerial view of the island suggest?

I now have this odd tribal/elfin image for the people of that city, too, thinking about this...
Back to top Go down
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
Peanutchan

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:09 am

Yes the plant life is all various shades of blue. And most native bugs there are also shades of blue. Jules and Fife are examples of those born there.
I plan it being a mineral or bacteria thats non toxic but is heavily saturating in all the water and everything else that ingests it. Plants and animals are all shades of blue. So anything on the island that is from there is anywhere between White to Blue to Midnight. Even the ground dirt where the substance is heaviest turns blue. Salt water dissolves or kills it which is why the coast seems unaffected. And that upper part is cold so the mineral/bacteria turns everything white.
Clothes are only optional on Meddus. So I would think any bug could live there with the right protection. X3 Doesn't have to only be the fuzzy ones.

Hmm... I would think the water would be very important since it is blue everywhere. XD
There is the river and creeks. Maybe some springs and ponds hidden amongst the trees. There its only one cliff face with falls on it. ..writing kinda covered it. XD
Now sure on culturally. So totally open there.

Something say.. Red would be considered odd and rare. Not ugly, just... different. Since the native bugs eyes do come in colors other than blue. But I wouldn't see any of the natives using large amounts of "outsider" colors. They think just a bit of a nonblue for accent or decoration is interesting and exotic. But say wearing something ALL Red would be considered obscene unless you are an "outsider". "Outsiders are not common on most of the island. Only the coastal cities. So people may stop and stare. But not be aggressive. Just curious. Like children. No harm intended.

There would be atleast two cultures. The elvish style (LotR or WoW) with exquisite buildings and culture aka Fife. And then the less civilized wild elvish (not elves... but think freakin Ewoks with intricate art on things) aka Jules.
Back to top Go down
jackoman
Royal Consort
Royal Consort
jackoman

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 am

THEES EES ENTERESTING!

I wish I could add more....
Back to top Go down
wachey
Drone
Drone
wachey

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:03 am

Well I'm certainly glad the characters I have originating from there are blue. It fits with Peanut's idea :3 And to add to Ten's idea, I was thinking that the bugs there, since they're only used to seeing blue on others, sort of distance themselves or frown upon someone born with different colors. It's not normal to them. Also, if they're towns are so hidden, would that make them close-minded? I've been to a few small towns and they can be pretty cruel or judgmental to something new and different from them.
Back to top Go down
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
Peanutchan

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 am

*points back to what she said*

"Something say.. Red would be considered odd and rare. Not ugly, just... different. Since the native bugs eyes do come in colors other than blue. But I wouldn't see any of the natives using large amounts of "outsider" colors. They think just a bit of a nonblue for accent or decoration is interesting and exotic. But say wearing something ALL Red would be considered obscene unless you are an "outsider". "Outsiders are not common on most of the island. Only the coastal cities. So people may stop and stare. But not be aggressive. Just curious. Like children. No harm intended."

It would only seem odd to them and people would stare. but no malice would be intended to any species no matter the color. Some babies are born not blue but then gradually turn blue over time. So even if you weren't born there... if you stayed long enough you would turn blue tinted. Only those born Black would retain the original color without change.. except maybe the eyes would turn blue.
They are rather friendly there. Not hostile at all unless provoked. Deeper in you go they may be skittish and avoid outsiders but won't get too aggressive.
Darpan is the most peaceful of the Continents.

Last edited by Peanutchan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wachey
Drone
Drone
wachey

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

Argh, sorry, I keep rushing through these and trying to catch up. Thanks for correcting me!
Back to top Go down
Ten
Drone
Drone
Ten

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

Waha. I was thinking on cultural significance of the water sources earlier, but didn't want to push the idea too much ahead of time. But say bugs that are swimmers (Diving Beetle-bases, Boatmen, Water Striders, Nursery Spiders) might have some role in a sort of ritual. Both elves and tribal cultures have always struck me (and I know it exists in the latter) as very respectful of nature, rather close to worshiping it. So maybe the swimmers are regarded as those who are innately tied to the water, much like there's the view of the Forever Children, adult caterpillars as having the secrets to eternal life. I was thinking that in part because there's this tiny concept idea for my Diving Beetle's backstory that involves a ritual of some sort with water, but also just the sheer amount of it in their lives--the coast, the rivers, underground streams, creeks, the falls that you mentioned...? I might doodle her up decked out for that just for kicks even if it doesn't end up taking place. Hrr. Not to mention, I'm not sure which culture would utilize the style of ritual I'm thinking of (Strider dancing on the water, swimmer mimicking it underneath? it's flowy in my head, and not just because of the water XD). Another thing is that the tucked away cities and villages, both "elfin" (there will be a word for this eventually) and tribal could both focus around water sources. Sort of like how some small cities and towns are centred around a church. Maybe not to the same extent of reasoning, but both the logical water source (if there are the hidden ponds and whatnot across the place) and the symbolism of it--of being provided for and taking what is offered with respect to the giver, hence the ritual practice.

A bacteria would explain part of the sort of monochromatic colours present on the island... Probably a bacteria and mineral working in tandem. Like a bacteria affected by a mineral affecting everything else and being ingested via the bacteria and causing all the bloo! Would also retain the explanation for the salt water killing it--the mineral only exists in soil rather than sand, but the bacteria can move to the coastal lines and just ends up getting offed.
Back to top Go down
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
Peanutchan

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 11:13 am

Sure sure. I could see some having spiritual significance with water. X3

Yeah I think I'll go with the bacteria idea. :3
Back to top Go down
Ten
Drone
Drone
Ten

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am

I might draw out a scene from a ritual for a tribal or a "higher" village/whathaveyou as part of an example. Just to see where it goes. :3
Back to top Go down
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
Peanutchan

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am

Indeed. Go right ahead. :3
Back to top Go down
Ten
Drone
Drone
Ten

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am

I have part of the ritual compiled (and fixed Naias' head shape in the process since I used her as a model, yay) but I'm gonna try and darken the lines a bit on the whole thing and clarify stuff, so it'll be redone in SAI. I... am very messy with pencil and conceptual stick figures. 8D Lawl when you can't find your own lines...

And as a side note, it's kind of a dance/acolyte ritual that's been doodled up involving a water strider and a diving beetle. I fucking love the water strider's legs. D|
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Isle of Blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isle of Blue?   Isle of Blue? Empty

Back to top Go down

Isle of Blue?
Page 1 of 1